Thursday, September 13, 2012

Nicol, Wee Wern and Mohd Nafiizwan advance to quarterfinals



WOMEN's World number one squash player Datuk Nicol David launched her eighth title quest by moving into the quarterfinals of the CIMB Malaysian Open championship by thrashing Donna Urquhart of Australia at the National Squash Centre in Bukit Jalil, here last night.


Besides Nicol, compatriots Low Wee Wern and Mohd Nafiizwan Mohd Adnan also managed to book their berth in the last eight.

In yesterday's second round match, Nicol took 50 minutes to beat her opponent in 11-6, 8-11, 11-8 and 11-7.

"It was a very tough fight. Donna played good, she made mistakes at the beginning but came out stronger throughout the set. I was working hard after my third game and was thinking I had to play one more game. It was a great match,” said Nicol.

In today's quarterfinal, Nicol will be facing Annie Au of Hong Kong, who defeated Kasey Brown of Australia 11-7, 11-8, 11-8.

"I will play Annie tomorrow (Thursday), knowing her, I just have to be sharp from the beginning, she is very sharp player, and I can’t give anything away. Must be right from the start, it will be good match tomorrow," said Nicol.

Wee Wern put up an excellent performance, beating world number five, Madeline Perry of Ireland in tough match yesterday.

Wee Wern, 22, took 62 minutes to defeat her opponent in 11-3, 9-11, 11-4, and 11-8.

She is scheduled to meet world number four, Jenny Duncalf of England who defeated Camille Serme of France in straight sets of 11-5, 11-4, 11-7.

"The last time I played Jenny she wasn't feeling well, so I won the match in Hong Kong (Hong Kong Open Championship) last year. She stopped playing recently due to injuries, and I think she is back in form now, I look forward to a good match with her tomorrow (Thursday).

"I think yesterday I played very well. I'm very happy with the way I'm hitting the ball, it's a great feeling after training so hard," said Wee Wern.

In the men's category, Mohd Nafiizwan, playing under a wild card ticket, sprang a surprise after he managed to beat Adrian Grant of England in the first round match yesterday.

Mohd Nafiizwan, 26, took 96 minutes to defeat his opponent in 9-11, 5-11, 11-9, 11-4, 13-11.

He will meet Tarek Momen of Egypt in the quarterfinal today.

Tarek defeated Max Lee of Hong Kong 11-4, 11-8, 4-11, 13-11 to go through the next round.

However, national player Ong Beng Hee failed to advance to quarterfinal after he lost to Nicholas Mueller of Switzerland in straight sets of 2-11, 5-11, 2-11 in 25 minutes.

The remaining rounds of the 2011 CIMB Malaysian Open Squash Championships will be played at the glass-court mounted at The Curve shopping mall in Mutiara Damansara starting today.

No comments:

Post a Comment