Monday, July 9, 2012

Man with sword outside PM's Dept complex shot and killed

The woman comforting the man after both were shot outside Block B1 of the PM's Department on Monday
PUTRAJAYA: A couple was shot by police after they were seen brandishing samurai swords outside Block B1 of the Prime Minister's Department here on Monday.

The man who was shot in the arm and leg succumbed to his injuries after he was rush to Putrajaya Hospital.

The duo arrived in a car at the security post of the Economic Planning Unit office at about 2.30pm.

Putrajaya OCPD Asst Comm Abdul Razak Majid said the duo marched towards the security post in an aggressive manner.

He said an auxiliary policeman with the rank of sergeant major, who tried to stop them from entering the premises, was taken hostage.

“The man held the sword on the policeman's neck and together they walked past the security before releasing him.

A police officer checking one of the swords taken from the couple outside the PM's Department on Monday
"The duo then ran amok and smashed the windows of a Hyundai Accent and a Perodua Kancil car parked in the parking lot,” he said.

The rampage lasted about five minutes until an anti-crime squad arrived.

ACP Abdul Razak two officers attempted to apprehend the duo but were attacked.

“One of the officers fired three shots at the suspects hitting the man in his left arm. The woman was shot in the left thigh.

“The suspects were immediately rushed to the Putrajaya Hospital but the man succumbed to his injuries about 15 minutes after arrival,” he said.

ACP Abdul Razak said they have yet to establish the motive, but suspected it could be related to a deviationist sect.

He said initial investigations revealed that the pair had only known each other for about a week. The man's wife had been informed of the incident.

The wife told police that the man had declared himself as “Imam Mahadi.”

ACP Abdul Razak said the case was being investigated for attempting to kill a police officer.

The female suspect, a 28-year-old mother of two, is being detained for further investigation.

Police recovered two samurai swords at the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment