Friday, February 3, 2012

Jaclyn Victor makes creative move 9 (PICS)


Tapping local talent: Jaclyn Victor is now allied to KRU Music because she believes the talent of brothers Edry, Norman and Yusry Abdul Halim will be beneficial to her growth as a singer.

Vocal powerhouse Jaclyn Victor maps out her big career move.

DETERMINED to have more creative control over her albums, Malaysian pop star Jaclyn Victor has chosen a made-in-Malaysia label, KRU Music, over international music banners that were vying for her.

And contrary to popular belief, homegrown music labels are not inferior to their international counterparts, she insists.

The power-lunged singer, who shot to stardom after winning Malaysian Idol, the Malaysian version of the hit US reality show American Idol in 2004, was signed to Sony Music for six years before realising that she needed to rejuvenate her stagnated singing career.

Describing her experience with Sony Music as a good learning curve, she adds: “They taught me about the music industry and professional singing. But with an international label (like Sony), they’ve got A&R to choose songs for me. They will get the songs and they will decide for me. I’ve been in that situation where I wasn’t comfortable with certain songs. (But she had to sing them anyway).”

Yes, those who have known Jac since her pub-singing days will attest to the statement that this gifted vocalist with a yo-yo voice can do more than just anthemic ballads like her breakthrough hit, Gemilang.

“I love Gemilang. But I can’t be doing ballads for the rest of my life. I’m a little bit of rock, pop, jazz and everything, actually. Give me a tune and I’ll sing it – except for dangdut.

“As a singer, I want to move forward, find new opportunities, explore my full potential and stay relevant to the music industry,” she says.

But why KRU, you ask?

“KRU understands me,” explains Jac. “Edry and his brothers (Norman and Yusry Abdul Halim) are artists. They’re big in arts. I can always talk to Edry and he is willing to listen to me. I love sharing creative ideas with him.”

Funnily enough, the 34-year-old and one of her close pals have been huge fans of KRU since their high school days.

“My friend, especially, was crazy about KRU,” she says with a laugh. “She’ll be very excited to know that I’m signed to the boys now. We used to sing their monster hits like Awas, Fanatik and Apa Saja Untuk Mu in school.”

Jac’s handsome deal with KRU Music is for a year, and it is subject to renewal.

“With KRU, I hope to bring out the other side of me that people have yet to see,” she enthuses.


Her first studio album with the KRU label, to be produced by the very talented Edry, will hit the market in November.

Her first single – a catchy, therapeutic heartbreak song titled Sebelah Jiwaku – will invade the Malaysian airwaves this month.






No comments:

Post a Comment