|An emotional Erykah Badu at the press conference held by the organiser yesterday.|
KUALA LUMPUR: American R&B singer Erykah Badu bears no ill-feelings over the cancellation of her concert but expresses disappointment “in one paper that published the wrong picture”.
“I was pleased to be asked to perform here. It would have given me a chance to connect with my fans ... but because of this one image we don’t get to be together ... that would be my biggest loss,” she said yesterday.
At a press conference by concert organiser Pineapple Concerts Sdn Bhd, the 41-year-old singer-songwriter said she was here for the people and hoped to meet with Rais.
When asked if she would return to perform in Malaysia if the opportunity presented itself, she said: "I have faith in people's ability to evolve. That's why I do what I do."
Pineapple Concerts managing director Razman Ahmad Razali confirmed the concert scheduled for last night was cancelled and blamed the ban on the offensive picture published in The Star on Monday.
"Without the blessing of the authorities, we can't go on. Without a permit, the show is cancelled.
"Those who bought tickets will get a full refund," he added.
Razman said prior to the cancellation, approval had been granted by the government and no issues were raised until two days ago.
He claimed the picture published in the newspaper was not supplied by the concert promoters.
On whether Pineapple Concerts would sue the newspaper, Razman said he would deal with that later.
Badu, also known as the Queen of Neo-Soul, broke into the music scene with her critically acclaimed 1997 debut album, Baduizm, which won her two Grammy awards.
Combining elements of R&B, hip hop and jazz with deeper lyrical messages, she has since released four other successful albums and garnered two more Grammys. Her music is said to be greatly influenced by her beliefs in the Nation Of Islam and her African heritage.
Badu will be heading to Jakarta today for the Java Jazz Festival.